Tips on Choosing the Right-Sized Antler for Your Dog
by Pet Qwerks Toys on June 10, 2018
Antlers make a great chew toy for dogs of all sizes. Their scent is naturally attractive to them and they can provide hours upon hours of entertainment. However, choosing the right antler for your pup isn’t always straightforward. You will need to consider your dog’s size, age, and chewing habits when picking out an antler. Let’s review the different types of antlers available and how to select the right size.
Types of Antlers
There are four main types of antlers available for dogs.
- Nylon Antlers: Though not found in the wild, nylon antlers are a great choice for pets. These toys do not break or splinter, making them safe for your dog to enjoy. Plus, you can easily find flavored antlers that your dog will love even more.
- Split Elk Antlers: These elk antlers are split down the center to expose the marrow. Split antlers are ideal for puppies, senior dogs, and those who are new to antlers.
- Whole Elk Antlers: Whole elk antlers are more difficult to chew because the marrow is only exposed at the ends. This means they are more challenging to chew and will last longer than split ones.
- Whole Deer Antlers: Deer antlers are harder and denser than elk antlers, making them perfect for pups who need a challenge.
Antlers are also available in a range of sizes, each one better suited for different sized dogs.
- Small: The smallest antlers are best suited for small dogs that weigh between five and 20 pounds. Breeds include Chihuahuas, pugs, dachshunds, Shih Tzu, and more.
- Medium: Medium antlers are great for dogs weighing between 20 and 40 pounds like corgis, beagles, whippets, Scotties, and border collies
- Large: These antlers are ideal for big dogs weighing between 40 and 70 pounds like Australian shepherds, Labradors, retrievers, boxers, and huskies.
- Extra Large: Extra-large or jumbo antlers work well for extra-large pups weighing 70 to 90 pounds like German shepherds, rottweilers, great Danes, and mastiffs.
- Giant: The largest antlers should be given to dogs weighing more than 90 pounds like Bernese mountain dogs, Irish wolfhounds, and mastiffs.
Cute Photo by @cavalier.chloe