Foods that are Toxic for Dogs

There is hardly any person on earth that can ignore the cute grin and cuddly face of a dog. But is it really possible that sweet treat to your dog can be lethal? Well, that mostly depends on what it is. One example of the food that is dangerous for your dog is a sweetener called xylitol, which can prove to be responsible for causing your dog some real health problems. In fact, there are a number of human foods that dogs should not be eating. And, it’s not only because of the weight. Some foods are absolutely toxic for dogs — and some of them might come as a surprise to you.

 

1- Xylitol

Candy, toothpaste, gum, diet foods, and some baked goods are sweetened with the help of xylitol. It can cause the blood sugar level of your dog to immediately drop at a harmful level and can also be responsible for liver failure. Early symptoms are inclusive of lethargy, vomiting and problems related to coordination. Ultimately, your dog will have seizures. Liver failure can also occur within just a few days.

2- Avocado

Do you think it is right to treat your dog from your table? If you think it is, think twice. Avocados, for example, have a substance called persin. It is alright for people who are not allergic to it. But having too much might cause diarrhea or vomiting in dogs. In case you grow avocados, at home, make sure you keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is found in bark, seed, leaves and fruit. Alongside, the avocado seeds can be stuck in the intestine or the stomach, which could result in fatal obstruction.

3- Alcohol

Alcohol has a similar effect on a dog’s brain and liver as it has on people. Although, it takes a lesser amount to hurt your dog. Just a little liquor or food with alcohol can be lethal. It can cause breathing problems diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, even death. And the smaller your dog, the worse it can get.

4- Onions and Garlic

Keep garlic and onions — powdered, cooked, raw or dehydrated — away from your dog. They can destroy his red blood cells and cause anemia. That’s even the onion powder found in some baby food. A rare small dose is alright. But a big amount at once can cause poisoning. Look for signs like breathing problems, weakness and vomiting.

5- Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine

Want your dog to be perky? Give him toys to play, not caffeine as it can prove to be fatal.  Be on the lookout for tea and coffe, even the grounds and the beans. Keep the dog away from energy drinks, cocoa, colas and chocolate. Caffeine is additionally found in some pain killers and cold medicines. Get your dog to the vet if you think he has had caffeine.

6- Grapes and Raisins

There are better treats to give your dog.  Raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign. Within a day, your dog will get depressed and sluggish.

Subscribe to our Newsletter