Dog Behaviors you Should be Aware of
by Pet Qwerks Toys on May 7, 2019
Dogs will be dog. They will be playful, they will jump, fetch, roll over and beg. It’s all natural. Sometimes they will be super cute and other times you might get annoyed by them. What is important is to know exactly when are they behaving normally and when things may get troublesome if you didn’t take care of it.
Some of these behaviors include:
- Your new puppy love chewing especially while they are teething. It is important that you redirect this behavior and prevent it from becoming a permanent one. Sometimes adult dogs chew when they bored, anxious or too excited. If you would let your dog make this habit, they will end up damaging objects around the house. Hence it is important you discourage them as soon as you find them doing it. To reduce it, provide them with chews they can work on for hours.
- Dogs are generally known to mark their territory. But it is unacceptable if they do so on new couch or that new carpet you just bought.
- All dogs bark. However if your dog is barking excessively and is disturbing the household and the neighbors, then it may be a problem. It is important that you find the reason behind their excessive barking because they are definitely trying to get your attention. Avoid shouting at them when they bark excessively instead talk to them softly and provide them comfort by rubbing their back.
- Dogs generally like to find a cooler place to sleep in especially during hot weather. So to start with, make sure your dog has a cool spot to rest at in the garden. If you feel like your dog is digging whenever they are bored or when anxious, it is a real problem. To keep them from getting bored, keep them busy with exercise, puzzles and games. If the digging is really uncontrollable, you can assign a special area in the yard where you can leave them to dig as much as they want without having to destroy the rest of the garden.
- Dogs tend to chase playfully and suddenly it becomes a dangerous game for people who do not know how to handle dogs. So it is important for you to train them to ‘Freeze’ on command. It is better to have them on a leash when you take them out in public places. You can let them lose in the backyard where they can run and chase freely and satisfy their need to do so.