Dogs are one of the most playful creatures. Along with that they are also pretty mischievous, but in a good way. When they are high-spirited and excited, they do not care at all about what is around them. They will land themselves into the dirtiest of places, into puddles of water or mud for that matter, but the big jolly smile on their faces will never fade away.
The only problem after this is that the dogs require a thorough clean-up. It can be a huge task. In fact, cleaning and grooming them on a daily basis requires a lot of attention and care. It is not easy, but it is also not difficult. It only requires few rigorous grooming steps before your dog can feel as fresh and smell as beautiful as a meadow.
What Makes Them Dirty
Before we look into how we can keep our dogs clean and smelling good, let us look at why it is important and essential to do so:
- Dogs have a tendency to expel odor. It is not the most pleasant thing and often is the reason why people are hesitant to own dogs.
- Their dog toys may be full of dust and dirt and this would later get transferred to the dogs.
- They do not mind playing in the dirt or mud and thus make themselves dirty often.
- Dogs have a tendency to feed on anything they find around themselves. This also means you can find them near garbage A LOT.
How to Keep Your Dog Clean and Smelling Fresh
Now that we have taken a look at some of the factors which can make dogs dirty and smell bad, let us go through the steps which will make them clean and fresh-smelling again.
To clean your dog:
- Make sure that your dogs are receiving regular baths.
- Always use a good dog shampoo and a dog conditioner. If you are unsure of what might suit your dog the best, ask the vet about it.
- Try to use lukewarm water. Do test if your dog is comfortable with the temperature of the water.
- Lather your way from the neck, right to the tail of the dog. Make sure to not leave any area unattended.
- Condition the dog. It will make their fur softer and reduce the frizziness of the hair.
- After your dog does a good shake, make sure to immediately dry the dog. Use a soft cloth and gently dry up as much water as you can.
- Ensure regular grooming of the dogs. Give extra attention to the delicate parts such as the ears of the dog. Clean them with ear wax.
- Comb your dog every day to avoid accumulation of dirt.
- Make sure to cut its nails as soon as they become long and sharp.
To make your dog smell fresh
- Pet owners are strictly prohibited from using any kind of scent or perfume on the pets. The strong ingredients in perfumes can cause infection in the dogs.
- Always brush the teeth of the dog. This will keep their bad smelling breath away.
- Unhealthy diet can also be a causing factor of bad odor. Make sure to keep their food nutritious and full of healthy benefits.
- Get regular check-ups at the vet to ensure that they are not suffering from diseases or infections which may also give birth to a bad smell.
- Clean your dog’s bedding regularly. Use natural ingredients like vinegar or baking soda to wash off the smell and dirt from the bedding.
Maintaining the cleanliness of a dog is not as difficult as it sounds. A few basic steps can leave your dog healthier, cleaner and happier. A clean and fresh-smelling dog also means your house stays clean and smells good.
Purchase dog-friendly products which are easily available in the market. Pay regular visits to the vet and maintain a regular bathing schedule, and you will be fine.