How to Care for A Chihuahua: Basic Tips
by Pet Qwerks Toys on May 20, 2019
Caring for a Chihuahua consists of many aspects. All these aspects are related to each other when it all comes down to providing health, care, love and happiness for the dog. Chihuahuas are the world’s smallest dog breed but with very tough personality.
Not only are they a source of entertainment but also very intelligent and loyal. They are very energetic despite their small size. If you live in the city, a Chihuahua would be perfect for you. Unlike other breeds, Chihuahuas easily blend in any space or environment.
If you are planning to get a Chihuahua and you want to understand the basics of caring for a Chihuahua, you’ve come to the right place. If you already own one, you can also learn something new about your best friend.
Feeding your Chihuahua
Chihuahuas are small but that doesn’t mean you should serve them less food. Due to their size, Chihuahuas can’t eat or digest a lot of food at one moment. However, they need to be fed as many times as possible.
What you feed your dog will definitely depend on how much you feed him every day, his age, health and daily activities. If you don’t know which type of food to give him, consult paper writing service or your vet. He will consider all these factors and give you the best advice.
If you are thinking of buying commercial food, ensure it’s of high quality. Again, there are many factors to consider when buying commercial food such as protein and carbohydrate content. You should always consult a vet before feeding your dog commercial food. A good homemade stew is also perfect for your dog.
If you’ve decided to go with homemade meals, you need to be careful with the ingredients you use. You can serve him beef, meat like chicken and lamb. When it comes to carbs, brown rice, and sweet potatoes are some of the foods that will keep your Chihuahua energized throughout the day.
Also, it’s important to include fat in his diet. Fat is an essential micronutrient that will make your dog’s meal absolutely delicious. However, avoid giving your dog food with high fat content because it can make him obese. The best source of fat for dogs is fish oil.
Foods to Avoid
According to Essayshark, dogs should never be fed human food. Do not serve him your leftovers. You might be thinking to yourself that feeding him a small amount of human food is harmless however, it will damage your Chihuahua in the long run. And that’s the last thing you want to see. Some of the foods that should be kept away from your dog’s mouth include:
- Caffeine and chocolate – These two substances are toxic for dogs. Always put them in a place where your dog can’t reach them. Experts have revealed that caffeine and chocolate cause diarrhea, vomiting and rapid breathing. They could also lead to low blood pressure, coma, cardiac arrest and death. Anything that has caffeine should be avoided because dogs can’t metabolize it. When you’re drinking coffee, always be on the lookout.
- Grapes and raisins – Grapes and raisins have a negative effect on your dog. They cause mouth ulcers, diarrhea and vomiting. They can also cause several symptoms such as lethargy, urinating and tremors. Grapes and resins are also toxic to the kidneys. In extreme cases they can cause seizures and even death.
- Garlic and onions – Garlic and onions have a substance known as thiosulfate which can’t be digested by dogs. These foods are responsible a common condition known as Heinz Body anemia. Some of the effects of feeding your dog onions include dark and uncontrollable urine, diarrhea and vomiting. It also causes weakness and seizures in extreme situations.
When feeding your dog, MyAssignmentHelp recommends avoiding a strict feeding plan. When feeding your Chihuahua, consistency is key. Avoid specificity. The food should have a low salt content to prevent heart and kidney problems.
If you have another dog, always feed them in separate places. Your Chihuahua might miss out when trying to scare away other dogs. When feeding him, do not rush him. You can give him about twenty minutes to finish his meal.
Grooming Your Chihuahua
Grooming is a crucial part of caring for your dog. A dirty dog is prone to parasites and dangerous diseases.
- Bathing your dog – Giving your Chihuahua a bath in the sink will ease your work and make him comfortable. Bathtubs are good enough but they can be overwhelming as well due to their size. Always use lukewarm water with a shampoo and conditioner for dogs. Avoid bathing him with your shampoo as it will make his skin dry and itchy.
After the bath, dry him immediately with a towel. Leaving him to air dry will make him lose a lot of heat which is important for his well-being. Also, dry his ears completely. Moisture in the ears can lead to the growth of yeast.
- Dental care – Due to his size, your Chihuahua is prone to dental problems. It’s important to visit assignment writing service and brush his teeth regularly regardless of the age of your dog. You’ll need a toothpaste and brush specifically designed for small dogs. You should start brushing his teeth as early as possible for him to get used to it as he grows older. If a Chihuahua is not used to teeth brushing, he will definitely give you a hard time.
- Trim the nails – The nails of a Chihuahua grow incredibly fast. You should always trim your dog’s nails to protect his feet and enhance personal hygiene. If you do not know how to trim the nails, it would be best to consult a professional groomer or your vet.
It’s important for your Chihuahua to exercise regularly. Just like other dogs, Chihuahuas are playful and very energetic. However, they can’t handle intense physical activities. Therefore, a thirty-minute walk can make a tone of difference for your dog.
Always be on the lookout. It’s important to know what your dog is doing every time because Chihuahuas can cause disasters. It’s not easy to spot a Chihuahua due to its size and they might be run over by vehicles. When taking your dog for a walk, always have a leash.
Lilian Chifley is an experienced content writer and editor for best essay writer and essay writing service reviews. He or she loves educating pet owners on how to care for their pets on Bestessayservicereviews and expert essay writers. During his or her free time you’ll find