How to Adopt your First Rescue Dog
by Pet Qwerks Toys on April 2, 2019
There is a common belief surrounding rescue dogs that they are somehow damaged. But most of the times, this is not the case. And there is nothing wrong with adopting such dogs. Following are some of the tips on how to adopt your first rescue dog.
1. Think long and hard about your lifestyle and whether you can make space for a pet dog.
2. Consider the place you are living in and whether it is spacious for a dog.
3. Make sure you have enough budget to take care of such an addition to your family.
4. Think about your travel schedule and whether you can manage your schedule by taking care of the pet.
Do your own research
1. You can search a lot on your own when looking to adopt a rescue dog. For instance, you can know about the following details before adopting one:
Preparation before Adoption
1. When you are visiting a shelter for dogs or going to an adoption event, make sure you go prepared with the following things:
A. A definite list of dogs that you would like to see
B. The contact information of your current vet (if you have any)
C. The contact information of your landlord in case you rent. Also, there needs to be evidence that you are allowed, by the landlord, to keep a pet with you.
D. Contact information for two references
E. Driver’s license
F. Some cash or credit card as rescue organizations do charge a fee for adoption. You call ahead to know about the charges.
G. Prepare the house for the pet’s arrival. Have an adequately sized dishes for water and food. Prepare a bed for the pet and get some toys for them to play with.